Hey, there! Look at me go! My last blog entry was not too long ago and here I am again! WOOHOO! So its a new month. I can hardly believe that the summer is almost over and fall is just around the corner. The only thing I am looking forward to is a break from this heat in good ‘ole Texas. Especially with all the walking I have been doing and all the walking there is left to do. Recently, I saw someone make a post on Instagram that I really liked. She made a post about the goals that she set for herself for the month of August. I mean we have all written them down on paper or even journal them, right? But there was something about this specific post. There were her goals. Listed. On her Instagram for everyone to see. I make posts on Facebook for accountability so I really gravitated towards this particular post therefore I went home and I created one of my own. Now I am going to write about those goals that I have set for myself for the month of August and what I plan to do to help me reach those goals.
For the month of August, these are my goals. Nothing horrible or unachievable. They are goals that are doable and at the same time encourage healthier eating habits.
1. No sodas. I’ve done this before and it wasn’t too harsh but for the past few months I have been drinking way too many soda pops so it is time to give them up. I think it will be a challenge but I can do this. I will drink more water and green tea. So I will no longer buy diet cokes so the temptation will not be there.
2. No beer. Now this will be hard. I’ve done the no alcohol challenge before so this shouldn’t be too hard but recently I have been on a Michelada kick. God help me on this one. I will stay away from my favorite beer joints and will definitely not keep any in the fridge.
3. Eat whole grains only. Oh God. Should I delete this one? I love Jimmy Johns and those jalapeno sourdough sandwiches from Old Towne are to die for! Kill me now! Just kidding! This will be hard but I guess I can buy my own bread (whole wheat of course) and make turkey avocado sandwiches. And I have been wanting to try the wrap sandwiches. Let see how this goes. I am so nervous, ya’ll.
4. Pack a lunch at least four times a week. This shouldn’t be too bad at all but the fact that I was on vacation last week and I haven’t been meal planning here lately is going to make this goal difficult. I plan on going back to my Sunday meal prepping days to help lighten up the cooking during the week. So grocery shopping and cooking are for Sundays now!
5. Eat one veggie or fruit a day. Doesn’t sound hard right? But for me it is. I either have a lot of veggies on my plate or I have none. I guess I will have to change that. Here we go. Broccoli and cauliflower, be ready!
Okay there. I wrote them and I have a plan on how to achieve each one of them. Today was day one and lets just say that it has been a pretty good experience so far except that I almost ate a breakfast that included biscuits. And I didn’t pack my lunch but its okay because I plan on really hitting that particular goal on Monday since the first of the month started on a Thursday. Sounds like an excuse huh? Fine, I will bring my lunch tomorrow. On a dang Friday. Ugh.
I am feeling pretty confident about my potential success with the above listed goals. I think that these small steps will help me get closer to the bigger goals that I have in mind. The key is to start somewhere. I have learned that is better to set goals that are challenging but achievable. Do not set yourself goals that are too hard that you quit even before you start. For example, I wanted to do no bread at all but can I really do it cold turkey. Like I love pizza and bread. Lets take it one step at a time. I also wanted to do the “no carbs” diet again but man I need to work myself up to that one. Once again, one step at a time. Alright, ya’ll please share your smalls goals for this month if you have any. I want to learn from other people. I hope that you have learned something from me. Good luck to everyone in whatever journey you are in! And know that you are not alone! We all struggle. It is about finding what is best for you!